Strawberry Applesauce (summer fruit recipe) | Days of Chalk and Chocolate

Strawberry Applesauce (summer fruit recipe)

Share It:

Aren't you loving summer fruit lately?  Our strawberries are still super cheap and plentiful in the stores. I tend to buy more than we can eat though.  Luckily, my girls adore applesauce and throwing in some leftover strawberries makes it even better!  And the best applesauce is homemade applesauce, especially if it is strawberry applesauce!

 Have you ever made it?  It is ridiculously easy and it is fun to mix in different fruits and flavors to make new blends. And the best part is that you control the sugar!

strawberry applesauce 

I used some strawberries that I had frozen, along with some over ripe apples that were to mushy to eat out of hand, to whip up a sweet, sparkly strawberry applesauce!

 

Strawberry Applesauce

5-6 servings (1/2 cup)

Ingredients:

5-6 medium apples, peeled, cored. and cut into chunks (I used Macintosh but you can use whatever) 1 and 1/2 cups unsweetened strawberries
1/4 cup water or applejuice 1/8 tsp Cinnamon (more or less to taste)

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients, including the liquid from the thawed strawberries, in a medium saucepan and cover.  Cook over low medium heat until the liquid starts to bubble a bit.
2. Turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the apples are very soft.
3. Carefully pour the hot apple mixture into food processor and process until smooth.
4. Spoon into jars to cool.

applesauce 3

Seriously, that's it. Done. You just made a delicious and healthy strawberry applesauce.  

My family prefers a smooth applesauce but I like a chunky one so sometimes I just use a potato masher to mash the mixture. That leaves it somewhat chunky.

Lastly, I don't add sugar but if you prefer your applesauce sweeter than have at it. I would start with a few teaspoons and add from there.

applesauce 2

Next time I am going to try using over ripe peaches!  Yum!


Thanks for stopping by! Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!