Painted Countertops--6 Months Later | Days of Chalk and Chocolate

Painted Countertops--6 Months Later

Share It:

One of the most frequent questions I get from readers is about my painted countertops.  How do they hold up?  How durable are they? Do they scratch? People are skeptical as to whether this can really work and I'm here to say yes!  And no. But mostly yes!  So here is an update!




If you need a reminder of how I painted my countertops, you can go to this post. 6 months later I still love them and I honestly don't even think about them being painted. I use them in exactly the same way I would use laminate. I do not put hot things on it but cold things right from the freezer are fine. I use regular kitchen cleaner sprays or wipes to clean them and they clean beautifully. Nothing sticks!

However the section directly behind my faucet is cracking and peeling in the crease where the back splash and the counters meet. I think part of the problem is that it is such a narrow space that it was hard to degloss and prime as well as other areas. Plus that spot is almost never dry. I try but it always seems to be wet. 



I circled some of the areas I am talking about in the next two pictures.



I'm not all that worried about it, frankly. I plan on just dabbing some paint on it soon and then just reapplying some polyurethane. Plus, the paint is so mottled that the white spots blend in. But it shows that good prep and keeping them dry are two very important parts of making painted counters last.

I will update you all again in 6 months!

Cheers!
Jenny

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Jenny! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and for your sweet comments:) No way, these painted counter tops are awesome! Just reread your post about how you did it, these are like a work of art. Such a cool make-over! Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous though !
    How about putting some clear silicone around the edges - maybe that would help?
    Happy weekend!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears the only reason it cracked is because the caulk was painted over -caulk is meant to repel. I would remove the caulk, touch up the paint and recaulk in a matching caulk. Otherwise very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I painted my counter tops about 6 years ago, and they still look great. I put about 10 coats of polyurethane on them, so maybe that helped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see this is a couple of years old now, are you still happy with it and have any new issues become evident? I'm just about sold on doing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!